'Thank you's..

I've settled back in at CPIT and getting back in the run of things at the Trades Innovation Institute. I'm getting used to being back now, and finally accepting my ASL is over and had time to reflect on it..

Into it on the 8th March
I'm looking back now and realizing just how amazingly lucky I was, having started this on the 31st January this year (wondering if I was going to see quake damage from September!), and what we've been through here in Christchurch. Not only have I gained a massive amount of experience in Cable Jointing and Line Mechanic work, I've also gained 20Gb of photos and video of the aforementioned work as teaching resources, earthquake damage, and really, captured a part of our history from a 'trades academic' point of view. I feel extremely lucky and privileged to have worked with some of the most heroic individuals I have ever met, who have showed grit and determination in their various tasks to fix the quake-damaged Christchurch distribution network.

The quakes are tapering off (at this stage), and geologists' statistical forecast is looking promising for less quakes and (hopefully) maybe no more M6+ quakes. It's great news, trust me!

I want to make this post about thanking the awesome individuals who helped me at Connetics and other companies too. This has been the greatest work experience of my life, and I hugely appreciate the way that the following people went out of their way for me, instructed, instructed, tolerated and taunted me!

Firstly; Phil Duns, the Connetics Underground Manager. Phil was instrumental in helping me at every turn, and even 'went in to bat for me' when things didn't go to plan. Phil, you're an inspiration, and I hope to repay your kindness eventually.

I'd like to thank the following also from Connetics' Management;
Jono Brent, the CEO who showed awesome leadership during what was clearly a difficult time. John Goodenough, for the general assistance and the 'open office'! Sandy, Wendy, Louisa, Diane, and the Pete Johnson. Thank you all for your help.

Jono and John 'rallying the troops', March 7.
The Cable Jointers:
Steven Bright, thank you so much for the help, instruction, and fun! Robbie Hill, the same! I had a blast with you guys, and I'm forever corrupted!

Steve and Robbie after Steve dinged a big digger.. kidding!

John Hyland; Thanks for telling me about the unusual work! The 'John Hyland system' of using a bike jack is being patented as we speak!

John 'texting' the joint closed.. He has a new brand of arcproof overalls on in this pic..!

Reece, thank you for the instruction and taking photos of me working!

Barry; thank you for letting me know the best jobs to go to, and for sending me off early on the 22nd February. You quite possibly indirectly saved my wife's life.

Karl, Wayne, Ivor, CJ, Scannel, Rex, Ted, Dennis, Terry (the Joint Guru!), Andy, Jeff, Jamie (the famous guy!), and Skid, thanks for all the help and fun guys!

CJ and Scannel flying the flag

Jamie's 'spiking face' and Steve's 'Cheesy grin'.

Ted and Rex ignore the nice view and got down to work..

And our Northland and Auckland mates; Jamie (ma hun!), Clinton, Whari, and Garfield; You and your brothers from the North were our saviours. Thank you, you're awesome. Chur, Bros!

Whari and Alby from Northpower.. That's how we roll!
T and Peachy from Transfield; thank for the laughs!

Thanks also Barry and Conrad from Top Energy, too.

Line Mechanics:
Firstly I want to thank my mate (and brother!) Awesome Peter Boyce.. Thanks for the instruction and help (pre-loaded tool use), fella!
Also Carl (the Chopper King!), Nik, Anton, Danny, Simon (the genius), Hard-case Tim(!), Roger, Ken, Murph, Bevan, James, Jason, Steve and Blair. Thanks all you guys!

Carl surveys the battlefield from his HV tank turret.


Ken is awesome! (Sorry, Pete, but he is too!)

Simon uses his tongue to measure a cable

Test Room:
Jacko, Nigel, Chris, Clive, Steve, Steve Duggan, Nick. Thank you.

I also want to thank Big Jase (Super-tough man-shorts) and Mark the STMS guys, Dave, Dean (BIG is good!), and Rodney (fellow chemical loo fan!) from underground too.

Jase the STMS (Super tough man-shorts) and Tim wearing his helmet!

'Big is good' Dean and Terry 'the jointing guru' spot a UFO.

I would like to thank CPIT for the opportunity to do this ASL also. I will do my utmost to help run courses in Cable Jointing and Line Mechanic work in the future, to train new blood and help fix our broken city.

Finally I want to thank YOU, the reader! I'm over 2000 hits now, and I'm honestly surprised how popular this blog is..! I'll continue to run this, I'm 'in the zone' now, and want to keep contributing to record the recovery of Christchurch.. keep watching!

Cheers

Andrew ;D

...... the story DOES NOT end here.....

Comments

Anonymous said…
How come no earthquake predictions on the blog big guy??
Was that a solar flare on Sunday or are you just pleased to see me ;-)

Popular posts

Week 8 - Cable Jointing - North Parade lateral spread, QE2 Drive consolidation, Philpotts Rd consolidation, Pages Rd.

Analysis; Damage to a power network from multiple major earthquakes.

Weeks 14 & 15 - Subs department - Brookside, Hororata, Greendale Substations, Test Room